Friday, April 22, 2011

Greek Tofu (or chicken) Spaghetti


A few weeks ago, we had a friend over that didn't eat meat.  I wanted to make something very tasty and healthy for supper, so I took a recipe that I usually make with chicken, and made it with tofu instead.  I know tofu doesn't sound all that great to some of you, but I discovered that I like it way better than chicken in this recipe!  Tofu is great for soaking up all the flavors of what you cook it with.

I love this recipe because it is fairly quick, super healthy and packed with protein.  And also because Greek/Mediterranean food is one of my latest addictions! :)  Serve it with a Greek salad, soft pita bread, and hummus!  Yum!



Greek Tofu Spaghetti

1 package medium firm tofu
1/4 cup red cooking wine
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoon finely chopped oregano
2 teaspoon finely chopped basil
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
2 cups fresh baby spinach
1/2 cup marinated artichoke hearts, drained
1/3 cup chopped, pitted Greek olives
Feta Cheese
Whole grain spaghetti noodles, cooked as directed

Start by cutting the tofu up into 1/2 inch cubes.  Add the next 6 ingredients, stir, and marinade for about half an hour.  (When you stir the tofu up, it will crumble a bit, and even more when you cook it.)  Saute the onion and pepper in the ollive oil for just a couple minutes until the onions get a little translucent.  Add the tofu mixture and continue to fry for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Stir in the baby spinach, artichokes and olives, and cook until the spinach has wilted.  Serve over spaghetti noodles, and sprinkle with feta cheese if you like.  Enjoy all the wonderful flavors!!

Good gracious, this is making my mouth water!  I shouldn't be blogging while I'm hungry! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment